In 2023 we’re celebrating the 18th anniversary of City Bird! Siblings and lifelong, seventh-generation Detroiters, Andy and Emily Linn founded the company in 2005 as a way to merge their mutual love for design with their admiration for their city and region. In 2009, they opened their eponymous flagship retail store in the Cass Corridor in Midtown, Detroit, where they showcase cards, gifts and local goods from more than 200 artists and makers from throughout the Great Lakes region, as well as their popular house line of locally-themed products, produced in their Detroit-based studio. City Bird is the oldest store on Detroit’s popular West Canfield street. In 2011, they expanded their brick-and-mortar retail offerings by opening Nest, a complementary home goods, plants, and gift shop next door to City Bird. This website is the online home for City Bird, Nest, and the City Bird line of locally themed goods, and features a selection of our favorite items from each.
City Bird: Our flagship shop carries our house line of Detroit- and Michigan-themed products as well as housewares, jewelry, stationery, paper goods, apparel, accessories, and home decor by hundreds of independent artists and designers. We feature work from Detroit and other Rust Belt cities. Some highlights at City Bird include:
- Our destination greeting card selection of more than 500 cards by independent illustrators and designers, including many that are hand-screen printed or letterpress printed.
- The best selection of jewelry in town, all of which is handmade by independent designers and makers.
- An incredible selection of wholesome gifts and apparel for little ones, including many products made in the Midwest.
- The region’s best selection of quality, locally-themed apparel, accessories, home goods, and gifts.
Nest: Located next door to City Bird, Nest offers a complementary selection of quality goods and gifts for the home. These products include plants, apothecary items, candles, accessories for the kitchen and bar, office accoutrements, and toys and games. Some highlights at Nest include:
- A unique selection of live plants, contemporary home-garden accessories, and plant related decor, including airariums, terrariums and window-garden kits.
- Quality accessories for the home bar and kitchen, including cocktail tools and kits, locally-made pantry items, fun glassware, tabletop decor, and specialty cookbooks.
- A fun, curated selection of toys and games for children of all ages and adults.
- The finest soap, apothecary, and candle selection in Detroit, with numerous options for every taste and budget.
City Bird Wholesale: In our Detroit-based studio, we produce our popular house line of Detroit, Michigan, and Great Lakes-themed items which is available in our shop, as well as at more than 150 other retailers throughout the Great Lakes region. With more than 500 SKUs across a dozen product categories, our line is expansive and can fit well in a variety of retail settings. If you are interested in carrying our products in your retail store, please email us for more information. You can find a selection of some of our favorite products from our line on this website by clicking here.
Andy and Emily on City Bird’s opening night, in 2009.